|Artist||Ralph Hotere and Bill Culberth|
|Location||Fluorescent lights crossing behind the City Gallery's windows that face Civic Square|
|Tour directions||Turn right to look at the windows of the City Gallery facing Civic Square (best at night)|
All Shook Up
75% of Wellington residents live within 10 km of the Wellington Fault running through the heart of the city. Wellington is long overdue for a big quake.
Fault was installed in 1994 when the Gallery moved into the former library building.The sculpture was made specifically for this location. It is a light sculpture, representing the city's location on an earthquake fault line.
Fault consists of white diagonal fluorescent lights crossing behind the City Gallery's windows that face the Civic Square. The dark background and the bright white light are symbolic of the bicultural nature of New Zealand society. Fault is most striking at night.
Wellington poet, Bill Manhire described the sculpture in the booklet Fault (1994) under the headings inscribed on the outside of the building (which used to be the public library): Philosophy, Religion, Sociology, Science, Useful Arts, Commerce, Fine Arts, and History.
"Whose fault is it? There are two of them (two artists/two lines) and probably they are both at fault. That is, though they would not choose to be called collaborators, they have certainly drawn the line between them. Those dark rectangles of glass might have their history in canvas or hardboard or corrugated iron.
Like any Hotere painting, the blacker they become, the more they seem to entertain reflection. And that lifting line of light, the neon, has made its way along other corridors, in other countries, in and out of the Culbert family suitcase. Sky and cloud step out at either end." (Bill Manhire, Fault, 1994)
- City to Sea Bridge Para Matchitt, John Gray, Rewi Thompson 1992 -41.28871249 174.7785641 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0019/1765/thumb-city-to-sea-bridge.jpg City to Sea Bridge http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/city-to-sea-bridge
- The Rugby World Cup Celebration Weta Workshop 2011 -41.288575 174.778189 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0003/1659/thumb-the-rugby-world-cup-celebration.jpg The Rugby World Cup Celebration http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/the-rugby-world-cup-celebration-sculpture
- The Pool Charlotte Fisher 1994 -41.2889891 174.7782308 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0020/1658/thumb-the-pool.jpg The Pool http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/the-pool
- Te Aho a Māui Rewi Thompson 1991 -41.288906 174.778100 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0004/1768/thumb-te-aho-a-maui.jpg Te Aho a Māui http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/te-aho-a-mui
- Nikau Ian Athfield 1991 -41.28898896 174.777868 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0005/1769/thumb-nikau-palms.jpg Nikau palms http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/nikau-palms
- Anchor Stone Ra Vincent 2004 -41.28912996 174.7776281 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0014/1652/thumb-anchor-stone.jpg Anchor Stone http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/anchor-stone
- Pig Alan Hobbs 1995 -41.28903118 174.7775287 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0016/1654/thumb-pig.jpg Pig http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/the-pig
- Prow and Capital Matt Pine 1991 -41.28877964 174.777552 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0017/1655/thumb-prow-and-capital.jpg Prow and Capital http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/prow-and-capital
- Ferns Neil Dawson 1998 -41.2887753 174.77721 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0020/1766/thumb-fern.jpg Fern http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/ferns
- Fault Ralph Hotere and Bill Culberth 1994 -41.28856 174.77724 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0014/1904/thumb-fault.jpg Fault http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/fault
- Seven Steps to Heaven Mary-Louise Brown 2000 -41.28885063 174.7767735 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0018/1656/thumb-seven-steps-to-heaven..jpg Seven Steps To Heven http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/seven-steps-to-heaven
- Silent People Chris Booth 1991 -41.28860247 174.7766809 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0019/1657/thumb-silent-people.jpg Silent People http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/silent-people
- Grand Head Terry Stringer 1986 -41.28908086 174.775988 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0015/1653/thumb-grand-head.jpg Grand Head http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/grand-head