Image by Keith Miller
The Rugby World Cup Celebration
|Location||Located on the Jack Illott Green in Civic Square, below the City to Sea Bridge|
|Tour directions||Standing on the City to Sea Bridge with your back to the waterfront, take the stairs on your right that lead down to the Jack Illott Green in Civic Square. The tour continues from the City to Sea Bridge.|
The Black Ferns have won four consecutive Women's Rugby World Cups. The All Blacks have only won the Men's Rugby World Cup once.
This heroic-style bronze and concrete sculpture was created by Sir Richard Taylor and his team of 35 people at Weta Workshop.
The sculpture depicts two clashing rugby teams rising in low-relief style from the Cook Strait (where the waves from the Pacific Ocean meet the waves of the Tasman Sea). At the peak of the sculpture, in full figurative style, a victorious player reaches for the burnished bronze rugby ball.
All Black Victor Vito and Wellington Hurricanes players, Jacob Ellison and James Broadhurst were models for the sculpture.
- City to Sea Bridge Para Matchitt, John Gray, Rewi Thompson 1992 -41.28871249 174.7785641 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0019/1765/thumb-city-to-sea-bridge.jpg City to Sea Bridge http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/city-to-sea-bridge
- The Rugby World Cup Celebration Weta Workshop 2011 -41.288575 174.778189 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0003/1659/thumb-the-rugby-world-cup-celebration.jpg The Rugby World Cup Celebration http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/the-rugby-world-cup-celebration-sculpture
- The Pool Charlotte Fisher 1994 -41.2889891 174.7782308 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0020/1658/thumb-the-pool.jpg The Pool http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/the-pool
- Te Aho a Māui Rewi Thompson 1991 -41.288906 174.778100 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0004/1768/thumb-te-aho-a-maui.jpg Te Aho a Māui http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/te-aho-a-mui
- Nikau Ian Athfield 1991 -41.28898896 174.777868 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0005/1769/thumb-nikau-palms.jpg Nikau palms http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/nikau-palms
- Anchor Stone Ra Vincent 2004 -41.28912996 174.7776281 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0014/1652/thumb-anchor-stone.jpg Anchor Stone http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/anchor-stone
- Pig Alan Hobbs 1995 -41.28903118 174.7775287 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0016/1654/thumb-pig.jpg Pig http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/the-pig
- Prow and Capital Matt Pine 1991 -41.28877964 174.777552 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0017/1655/thumb-prow-and-capital.jpg Prow and Capital http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/prow-and-capital
- Ferns Neil Dawson 1998 -41.2887753 174.77721 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0020/1766/thumb-fern.jpg Fern http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/ferns
- Fault Ralph Hotere and Bill Culberth 1994 -41.28856 174.77724 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0014/1904/thumb-fault.jpg Fault http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/fault
- Seven Steps to Heaven Mary-Louise Brown 2000 -41.28885063 174.7767735 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0018/1656/thumb-seven-steps-to-heaven..jpg Seven Steps To Heven http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/seven-steps-to-heaven
- Silent People Chris Booth 1991 -41.28860247 174.7766809 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0019/1657/thumb-silent-people.jpg Silent People http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/silent-people
- Grand Head Terry Stringer 1986 -41.28908086 174.775988 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0015/1653/thumb-grand-head.jpg Grand Head http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/grand-head