Wellington Urban Forest
|Artist||Leon van den Eijkel and Hutt Valley engineer Allan Brown of Metallion Ltd.|
|Location||On the waterfront walkway, across from St Patrick's College, Cobham Drive, Evans Bay.|
|Tour directions||From the Zephyrometer walk along the coastline to the East. You will find the Wellington Urban Forest along this path.|
Leon van den Eijkel
Van den Eijkel (b. 1940) was born and spend his earlier years in the the city of The Hague, Netherlands. Emigrating to New Zealand in 1986.
"The Forest" consists of twenty-five aluminium cubes on three concrete stacks that rotate individually in the wind. The stacks are 9m high.
Leon says that until the age of five he never saw a tree.
"All the trees in my city had been cut down for heating so we children didn't know what a tree was. We had only black and white images of them. So we made urban trees from all sorts of wood, trips of cloth, broken pieces of glass and iron we found on the street."
Leon's art often paid homage to fellow Dutchman Piet Mondriaan (1872-1944), particularly with the use of rectangles of plain colour, but his palette is brighter and more extensive than Mondriaan's, befitting, as he sees it, his location in the Pacific.
- Zephyrometer Phil Price 2000 -41.31217217 174.7961952 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0012/1623/zephyrometer-thumb.jpg Zephyrometer http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/coastal-tour/zephyrometer
- Wellington Urban Forest Leon van den Eijkel and Hutt Valley engineer Allan Brown of Metallion Ltd. 2006 -41.31360756 174.7986715 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0020/1937/wellington-urban-forest-thumb.jpg Urban Forest http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/coastal-tour/wellington-urban-forest
- Akau Tangi Phil Dadson 2010 -41.31499968 174.8006618 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0004/1939/akau-tangi-thumb.jpg Akau Tangi http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/coastal-tour/akau-tangi
- Tower of Light Andrew Drummond 2005 -41.31696761 174.8041988 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0013/661/thumb-tower-of-light.jpg Tower of light http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/coastal-tour/tower-of-light
- Pacific Grass Kon Dimopoulous 2000 -41.31691418 174.8091725 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0011/1622/coastal-pacificgrass-thumb.jpg Pacific Grass http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/coastal-tour/pacific-grass
- Lifestream/Seaform Roger Thompson 2005 -41.32316241 174.835603 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0013/1624/coastal-lifestream-thumb.jpg Lifestream http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/coastal-tour/lifestreamseaform
- The Doo Doos Peter Kundycki 1998 -41.34218855 174.8127192 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0014/1625/coastal-doodoo-thumb.jpg The Doo Doos http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/coastal-tour/the-doo-doos
- Moai Tevo Pakarati 2004 -41.33826932 174.7934689 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0011/1901/thumb-moai.jpg Moai http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/coastal-tour/moai