|Location||On Evans Bay at the intersection of Evans Bay Parade and Cobham Drive.|
|Tour directions||There is a car park next to the first sculpture. The entrance is on Evans Bay Parade. From there you can walk along the shore to the first 5 sculptures. Bus 6, 14, 25, 30, 31 and the Airport Flyer all take you from town close to the start of the coastal tour.|
This device was used in the 1800's as a weather device, but it was a failed attempt. Now it is a work of art.
A kinetic work of concrete, fibreglass and steel, its giant orange 26m long needle indicates the strength and direction of the wind. The needle pivots 22.5 degrees in any direction.
"It is a giant-sized yet beautiful machine. Its gentle lurching will in its own way gauge the wind of Wellington. It is a type of free-form gauge with a considerable reliance on precision engineering, which I am enjoying because, as well as the work being a scientific concept, it is also a science to design and build. It is like any well-designed object where the beauty is derived through its need to function."
(source:Art & About/ WST)
- Zephyrometer Phil Price 2000 -41.31217217 174.7961952 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0012/1623/zephyrometer-thumb.jpg Zephyrometer http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/coastal-tour/zephyrometer
- Wellington Urban Forest Leon van den Eijkel and Hutt Valley engineer Allan Brown of Metallion Ltd. 2006 -41.31360756 174.7986715 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0020/1937/wellington-urban-forest-thumb.jpg Urban Forest http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/coastal-tour/wellington-urban-forest
- Akau Tangi Phil Dadson 2010 -41.31499968 174.8006618 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0004/1939/akau-tangi-thumb.jpg Akau Tangi http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/coastal-tour/akau-tangi
- Tower of Light Andrew Drummond 2005 -41.31696761 174.8041988 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0013/661/thumb-tower-of-light.jpg Tower of light http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/coastal-tour/tower-of-light
- Pacific Grass Kon Dimopoulous 2000 -41.31691418 174.8091725 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0011/1622/coastal-pacificgrass-thumb.jpg Pacific Grass http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/coastal-tour/pacific-grass
- Lifestream/Seaform Roger Thompson 2005 -41.32316241 174.835603 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0013/1624/coastal-lifestream-thumb.jpg Lifestream http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/coastal-tour/lifestreamseaform
- The Doo Doos Peter Kundycki 1998 -41.34218855 174.8127192 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0014/1625/coastal-doodoo-thumb.jpg The Doo Doos http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/coastal-tour/the-doo-doos
- Moai Tevo Pakarati 2004 -41.33826932 174.7934689 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0011/1901/thumb-moai.jpg Moai http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/coastal-tour/moai