John Plimmer and Fritz
|Artist||Tom Tischler, Ross Wilson, Judy Alexander|
|Location||At the base of Plimmer Steps, off Lambton Quay.|
|Tour directions||Make your way to Lambton Quay. Across from the Old Bank Arcade you find the ally leading towards the Plimmer steps. You will find John at the entrace.|
In the colder months, it is not unheard of for anonymous knitters to knit both Fritz and John waistcoats and scarves.
John Plimmer (1812–1905) has been called the Father of Wellington. In the course of a long life he was a builder, businessman and civic leader. He was a member of the Wellington Provincial Council from 1856 to 1857, the first Wellington Town Board (1863) and was on the Wellington City Council from 1870 to 1871.
His principal public service was the organisation of the Wellington and Manawatu Railway Company between 1880 and 1886. The township (now a suburb) of Plimmerton on the main railway north was named after him.
He arrived in Wellington from Shropshire, England on the ship Gertrude in 1841. As an entrepreneur in 1851 he purchased the stranded sailing ship Inconstant and converted the hull into a warehouse and one of the first piers in Wellington. It became known as "Plimmer's Ark", a centre of business in early Wellington, used as an auction house, customs office and lighthouse.
Plimmer Steps between Lambton Quay and Boulcot Street, and Plimmerton, a town north of Wellington, were both named after him
The bronze sculpture is based on a photograph of John Plimmer taken around 1900. Architect Tom Tischler used it to make a maquette, which in turn was used by sculptor Ross Wilson, together with Judy Alexander and model-maker Alex Kennedy to make the bronze.
- John Plimmer and Fritz Tom Tischler, Ross Wilson, Judy Alexander 1996 -41.28579178 174.7758163 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0017/1781/thumb-john-plimme-and-fritz.jpg John Plimmer and Fritz http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/lambton/john-plimmer-and-fritz
- Protoplasm Phil Price 2002 -41.28543599 174.7758294 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0018/1782/thumb-protoplasm.jpg Protoplasm http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/lambton/protoplasm
- Invisible City Anton Parsons 2003 -41.28445079 174.7755541 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0020/1784/thumb-invisible-city.jpg Invisible City http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/lambton/invisible-city
- Nga Korerorero – Ongoing Talk Silvia Salgado 1996 -41.282292 174.776469 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0013/1732/lambton-ongoingtalk-thumb.jpg Ongoing talk thumb http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/lambton/nga-korerorero-ongoing-talk
- Shells Jeff Thomson 2002 -41.28186866 174.7762362 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0012/1731/lambton-shells-thumb.jpg Shells thumb http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/lambton/shells
- Spinning Top Robert Jahnke 2002 -41.28199794 174.7751702 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0019/1783/thumb-spinning-top.jpg Spinning Top http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/lambton/spinning-top
- Ruaumoko Ralph Hotere and Mary McFarlane 1998 -41.281366 174.776307 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0019/1729/lambton-raumoko-thumb.jpg Raumoko thumb http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/lambton/ruaumoko
- Mahatma Gandhi Gautam Pal 2007 -41.27977 174.7790 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0011/1730/lambton-ghandi-thumb.jpg Ghandi thumb http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/lambton/mahatma-gandhi
- Seismic Shock Louise Purvis 2006 -41.278964 174.778668 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0005/1859/lambton-seismic-thumb.jpg Seismic thumb http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/lambton/seismic-shock
- Buzzy Bee Hugh Nicholson, Bob Sharpe 2006 -41.27882442 174.778545 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0016/1780/thumb-buzzy-bee.jpg Buzzy Bee http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/lambton/buzzy-bee
- Two pouwhenua, Wai-titi Landing Ra Vincent 2005 -41.27868419 174.7779969 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0015/1860/thumb-two-pou-whenua.jpg Pou Whenua http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/lambton/two-pouwhenua,-wai-titi-landing
- The Cenotaph Richard Oliver Gross 1931 -41.27915901 174.7771529 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0016/1861/thumb-cenotaph.jpg Cenotaph http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/lambton/the-cenotaph
- Kaiwhakatere: The Navigator Brett Graham 2000 -41.27842227 174.7754327 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0017/1862/lambton-navigator-thumb.jpg Navigator thumb http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/lambton/kaiwhakatere-the-navigator
- Taiaha Guy Ngan 1972 -41.279273 174.775419 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0018/1863/lambton-taiaha-thumb.jpg Taiaha thumb http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/lambton/taiaha