|Location||Located in Civic Square and on Harris Street|
|Tour directions||From Te Aho a Māui, continue walking towards Civic Square and go down the stairs on the left towards Nikau|
Make like a tree and weave
The nikau is the only species of palm endemic to New Zealand. Traditionally, the bases of the inner leaves and young flowers were eaten; food was wrapped in the leaves for cooking; and the old fibrous leaves used for baskets, floor mats, and waterproof thatch for buildings.
Nikau is one of fifteen stylised nikau palm trees designed by architect Ian Athfield made from copper, zinc, and steel.
The sculptures were originally conceived as a way of covering up the unsightly structural-support pillars, but have since become iconic symbols of Wellington City.
Nine of the trees are structural supports for the Wellington City Library and six stand free from architectural burden. The free-standing nikau palms in different parts of Civic Square help to integrate the buildings and the space as a whole.
- City to Sea Bridge Para Matchitt, John Gray, Rewi Thompson 1992 -41.28871249 174.7785641 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0019/1765/thumb-city-to-sea-bridge.jpg City to Sea Bridge http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/city-to-sea-bridge
- The Rugby World Cup Celebration Weta Workshop 2011 -41.288575 174.778189 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0003/1659/thumb-the-rugby-world-cup-celebration.jpg The Rugby World Cup Celebration http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/the-rugby-world-cup-celebration-sculpture
- The Pool Charlotte Fisher 1994 -41.2889891 174.7782308 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0020/1658/thumb-the-pool.jpg The Pool http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/the-pool
- Te Aho a Māui Rewi Thompson 1991 -41.288906 174.778100 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0004/1768/thumb-te-aho-a-maui.jpg Te Aho a Māui http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/te-aho-a-mui
- Nikau Ian Athfield 1991 -41.28898896 174.777868 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0005/1769/thumb-nikau-palms.jpg Nikau palms http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/nikau-palms
- Anchor Stone Ra Vincent 2004 -41.28912996 174.7776281 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0014/1652/thumb-anchor-stone.jpg Anchor Stone http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/anchor-stone
- Pig Alan Hobbs 1995 -41.28903118 174.7775287 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0016/1654/thumb-pig.jpg Pig http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/the-pig
- Prow and Capital Matt Pine 1991 -41.28877964 174.777552 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0017/1655/thumb-prow-and-capital.jpg Prow and Capital http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/prow-and-capital
- Ferns Neil Dawson 1998 -41.2887753 174.77721 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0020/1766/thumb-fern.jpg Fern http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/ferns
- Fault Ralph Hotere and Bill Culberth 1994 -41.28856 174.77724 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0014/1904/thumb-fault.jpg Fault http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/fault
- Seven Steps to Heaven Mary-Louise Brown 2000 -41.28885063 174.7767735 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0018/1656/thumb-seven-steps-to-heaven..jpg Seven Steps To Heven http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/seven-steps-to-heaven
- Silent People Chris Booth 1991 -41.28860247 174.7766809 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0019/1657/thumb-silent-people.jpg Silent People http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/silent-people
- Grand Head Terry Stringer 1986 -41.28908086 174.775988 http://www.sculptures.org.nz/__data/assets/image/0015/1653/thumb-grand-head.jpg Grand Head http://www.sculptures.org.nz/tours/civic-square/grand-head